Queen's Head54 Windsor Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Situated in the old part of town, opposite the church, one has to step down from the street into this attractive-looking pub which was built in the mid-nineteenth century. The earliest documented evidence of a public house on the site is 1544 but it is likely that there has been one from an even earlier date. The pub has had several names but the current one commemorates Anne Boleyn, who is depicted on the pictorial sign. The pub was a Watneys house in 1966 when it was hit by an arson attack but despite this the character of an old pub remains. There is just one, irregularly shaped, bar with bay windows, wooden floorboards, walls mainly of exposed brick and low ceilings. Decorated and furnished tastefully for a historic pub which is grade II listed. On the walls are photographs related to royalty and a corner dedicated to James Bond. Refurbished in late 2017